The Future of the Book

Connecting From print to pixels and DIYorDie, I see a love/hate relationship. For writers who need a platform to publish their work, going digital is a great thing. You don’t have to pay the pesky price of having a publisher or finding one who believes in your work. You can publish what you want on your own accord without worrying about sacrificing your art, which seems to be very important to DIY artists. The downfall of publishing online in my opinion, is gaining an audience. Maybe you aren’t looking for international superstardom and a movie deal, but how do you get people to look at your work and really read it, when there can be millions of e-books to choose from? How can people find you and actually read the entire book? Most importantly, how does this book make you money? You hear success stories like 50 Shades of Grey and you think it’s possible but the success will not reach everyone. I remember walking in the city and a guy was selling his e-book pitch to me. I actually thought it was cool so I asked where I could read it online. He had the nerve to tell me I had to pay $20. I don’t pay that much for a hardcover! It’s not that I don’t think people should probably be paid for their art, but in order for a frugal person such as myself to pay for anything, I have to be sure if the worth. And word of mouth from the author on the street isn’t enough. Which I would believe is a real problem for DIY artists. People don’t like you until everyone else does. We can praise sites like Amazon for selling self-published books, but finding the book on Amazon must be painful. There’s also the issue of people who need physical books in order to read anything. How can a self-published author reach me?